Wookey's holiday page
Last updated: 2018-06-03
- August 2018: Expo, Austria. Sabatical year, so I have time for Eurospeleo Ebensee too
- April 2018. Devon. Cottage in Belstone, nr Okehampton. Lots of cycling, and even some April sunburn.
- Nov 2017 Gran Canaria. Pre-emptive winter sun this year. Stayed in middle of islandat Tejeda. Amazing walking country. Did some fine hikes. The fires of Sept 2017 had not spoiled things much.
- June 2017 Isle of Wight. Camper-van and cycling visit. Glorious.
- Feb 2017 Lanzarote. UK winter greyness too much for us, so 500Kg emissions it is. The wetter northern corner has the nicest walking.
- Nov 2016 Cornwall. Visit Tess's sister, Eden centre, coast-to-coast
cycle. Remarkably nice for the time of yr.
- July 2016: Expo, Austria. Deep camping (-600m) in
Tunnockschacht. New personal record of -730m.
- July 2016: Croatia. Sailing CUYC's new yacht on 1st leg back
to UK. Very civilised sailing round all those islands. It's basically
waterborne campervanning. Then train to Expo.
- Feb 2016: Thailand. Connect was in Bangkok, so good excuse for
a holiday for a couple of weeks. Rail-based, we set off down the
peninsula, staying in Phetchaburi, SamRoiYod NP, and Ko Tao for some
very nice biking, caving, lazing and
snorkelling. Best value train ever at 79p for 5 hours and 220km,
complete with monks, strange foodstuffs and jungle out of the window!
_So_ much washed-up crap on the beaches of Ko Tao. They should stop
building, several years ago.
- Aug 2015: Jura, France, Swizerland. Campered about after debconf. It was
glorious. A few Via Ferrate and a lot of sitting by sunny rivers. Did a
day on the E6 trans-europe cycleway - very civilised.
- July 2015: Heidelburg, Germany. Debconf, and Tess came too on
- July 2015: Expo, Austria. Then drove van to Debconf.
- Aug 23 - Sept 19 2014: Debconf, Portland. Tess came at the end, and we
spent 2 weeks driving down to Connect in San Francisco. Lots of very
fine hiking, Waterfalls, bit of PCT, lava falls, tubes, craters. Crater Lake.
- Aug 2014: Expo, Austria.
- Feb 14-26 2014: Caving, China. Luo Shwei Dong and San Wan Dong with Erin. Amazing caving.
- Aug 2013: UIS congress, Slovakia, (expo), Debconf. Major tour
of Europe, taking gear out to Expo, then on to Brno, Czech (with
Julian+Becka), for the UIS congress with hots of famous potholers,
then a couple of weeks hiking in Slovakia with Tess. Very nice country
for campering. Mala Fatry, Velka Fatry, Western Tatras and Little
Tatras - never got as far as the big tatras or Slovenksky Raj. Back
via Lille to catch a Train to Debconf in Vaumarcus Switzerland, A very
- April 2013: Malta. Remarkably nice walking for such a small
place. And a great bus service.
- Dec 2012: Skiing, La Plagne, with assorted potholers in Holly
and Noel's chalet. Exceedingly civilised. Also visited the Hopkins family in next resort.
- Oct 2012: Linaro Connect/UDS in Copenhagen, then long train
ride to Barcelona for ELC, where Tess tagged along.
- Aug 2012: Expo, Austria. KH-Steinbrücken connection
found (97km!), just in time for the Austrian Speleo Congress. Trips to
Voising and Raucherkarhöhle.
- Feb 2012: FOSDEM. And Tess came to try Brussels in Feb (cold!).
- Aug 2011: Expo, Austria. Founds loads in 'Country for Old Men'
in KH, almost connecting to Steinbrücken. Also made the
- June 2010: Scotland, Dumfries and Galloway and Argyll. Camper
trip with lots of Mountain biking. Great weather, some brilliant
mountain-biking, and we even happened upon Beavers in Argyll. D&G is
really nice - we shall return.
- Nov-Jan 2009/2010: Western
Australia. I did 3 weeks, Tess did
2 months. Lots of interesting stuff covering most of Western coast.
Way too hot up north by Xmas. And they don't tell you a fly-net is
- Aug 2009: Expo, Austria. Return to Kaninchenhöhle after
15 years. Found a load of stuff at the far end of East Anglia
inlcuding a fine shaft series we got 55m down, and
AndrewA did a fine climb into the roof of Repton. That's 3 major leads
- March 2009: Majorca, CUCC trip, mostly walking and canyonning
for us. Did Mortitx, which was fairly epic.
- Dec 2008: Norway, cross-country skiing.
- Oct 2008: Crete. Hiking and Snorkelling in western Crete.
Putting off the arrival of winter. Crete has excellent hiking along
canyons and up mountains. It was still pretty hot at the end of
October - rather too hot for coastal walking.
- April 2008: Caving and Biking in the Grande Causses, France
with CUCC. Bit bloody cold (it snowed!), but some fine scenery and
- Jan 2008: Red Sea, Egypt. Slacking and Snorkelling at Coraya Beach hotel, avoiding UK grey and cold.
- July/August 2007: Expo in Austria. New personal record of -600m. Brilliant trip.
- May 2007: Brittany by Camper-Van
- May 13th to June 4th 2006: Mexico. Wook went out for Debconf for a week then
Tess arrived, and we rented a car and visited Oaxaca, and Chiapas. Very
interesting, but a bit too exciting even for us, due to car crash at about
half time. pics.
- March 28th to April 19th 2006: Ardeche and Extremadura: Went to the
Ardeche with CUCC to do some biking, canyonning and a bit of caving for Wook. Very nice
place. One lovely canyon, one desperate. Already too hot some days. Then on
to Spain: Madres mountains for some climbing and walking, then across to
Monfraüge national park in Extremadura for a couple of days before
spending 4 days in Jarandilla de la Vera at the spanish Govt's expense doing
an Embedded Debian
work Session. 3,500 miles in total and nothing important fell off the van.
- April 19th/May 21st 2005: California. About time we had a proper
holiday, so a month touring the good bits of California was in order (Joshua
Tree NP, Mohave National Monumnet, Death Valley NP, Sequioa NF/NP, Kings Canyon NP,
Yosemite NP, Point reyes NP, Muir Woods). General pics. Flower pics.
- March 2005: Went to HinterTux in Austria with Geekski. Marvellous
snow conditions, and very nice weather when it finaly stopped snowing.
Enough powder to get completely knackered falling over in it on a snowboard.
Here's a few pics.
- July 2004: Week in pembrokeshire to celebrate Tess's sister's 40th
birthday. Good weather, nice walks, and a handy botanist in the form of
Richard, her brother, getting very excited about non-descript plants on the
coast path :-).
- June 2004: Quick trip to the Isle of man. I was invited to give
a talk on softwarePatents, so we strung a short holiday on the end, then
came back via the remarkably sunny lake district - sunbathing on top of
crinkle crags!. Second proper camper-van trip.
- June 2003: MTB tour of Wales, starting in the Forest of Dean.
Sampled a lot of south and mid-wales MTB routes, most of which were bloody
marvellous. 2 weeks in wales without a drop of rain - that doesn't happen very
- Jan 2003: Mulu, Borneo. Caving Expedition to the national park,
working on Benarat mountain. I was along as 'chief surveying victim', as
there was a major need to update and link all the survey data. Much work
converting it all from Compass to survex, and getting surface fixes and
connections so that all the caves in the mountain could be seen in their
relative positions. I'm still drawing the surveys up in mid 2005
(<embarassment>). Found some really impressive cave - Mulu is
- August 2002: Austria/France. 2 weeks of CUCC expo (Tess came out for a trip down Eishöhle, then we escaped from the terrible rains for a week in the Stubai Alps Hut-hutting and bagging the Liesener FernKogel with Alex Cheesman. After that Tess and I visited the Vosges/Alsace - walking, MTBing and touristing. Here are the raw pics from the second half of this trip - rotation and labelling to come later.
- Jan-Feb 2002: New Zealand. Took a quick look at most of NZ and tried a few new sports along the way. One of which was rafting. Here's some pics of us coming down the 7m Kaikoura falls, which is a daft thing to do in a raft, especially with a lardy german behind you. And now there's an animated version.
- June 2001:China Caves Project expedition to Jiang Kou, Sichuan/Chongqing province. 11th June to 2nd July. Small expedition returning to the wet and scary caves of the area and samle the extreme foreignness of china. Da Xioa Dong was remarkable stuff - scary levels of water and a lot of pitches made for some excellent technical exploration. There are some pics of this courtesy of Chris Densham.
- May 2001: Trip to Skye staying in JMCS hut at Coruisk. Very damp so didn't get to do any climbing but did a good scramble, painted the hut and
had a couple of nice walks although the second turned into a mild epic due to appalling weather.
- September 2000: Malaysia. Snorkelling and festering on genuine tropical islands in the Perhentians off peninsular Malaysi, then 2 weeks in Sarawak at Bako National park (Mangroves and Rainforest) and Mulu National Park
(World class caves).
- July/August 2000: Austria caving expedition. 3 weeks. Some excellent ice-caving in Eishöhle.
- May 2000: 1 week in austria with a group of German cavers.
- April 2000: 5 days in the forest of fontainbleau, bouldering.
November/Decmeber 1999: South Africa and Swaziland: Mpumalanga and Kwazulu-Natal - Blyde River canyon, Kruger Nat Park, Mlawula Nature Reserve, Sodwana Bay, Drakenberg Mts (Cathedral peak, Natal NP and Golden Gate NP areas)
July/August 1999: Austria caving expedition and Mountaineering/Klettersteig in Austria and Italy (Dachstein/Dolomites). Then Canyooning in the Maritime Alps, France.
1999 20-26March: Quick trip to Fermanagh, N.Ireland for some caving.
July/August 1998: Austria expedition and Canyonning in the
1998: 22nd April to 14th May: Utah's National Parks -
marvellous, photos to follow...
August 1997: 7th - 21st August - Union
Internationale de Speleology conference in switzerland,
including prior electronics meet, and subsequent Surveying
July 1997: 19th July to 3rd august - Canyonning in the
Alpes Maritime, France
April 1997: Recce to Katavothra
valley, Greece, to search for caves at local sink.